- Agricultural land use 2021 (raster)
- Not Specified
+ The original author did not specify a license.
The dataset contains maps of the main classes of agricultural land use (dominant crop types and other land use types) in Germany, which have been produced annually at the Thünen Institute since 2017 on the basis of satellite data. The maps cover the entire open landscape, i.e. the agriculturally used area (UAA) and e.g. uncultivated areas. The map was derived from dense time series of Sentinel-1, Sentinel-2, Landsat 8 and additional environmental data. Map production is based on the methods described in Blickensdörfer et al. (2022).
The map extent covers all areas in Germany that are defined as agricultural land, small woody features, heathland or peatland according to ATKIS Basis-DLM 2020 (Geobasisdaten: © GeoBasis-DE / BKG (2020)). Post-processing of the maps included a sieve filter as well as a ruleset for the reduction of non-plausible areas using the Basis-DLM. The final post-processing step comprises the aggregation of the gridded data to homogeneous objects (fields) based on the approach that is described in Tetteh et al. (2021).
Data are available on request either in gridded (raster) format or in aggregated (vector) format. For metadata details please see the specifications below.
- Publication Date
- May 4, 2023, 7 a.m.
- Raster Data
- Rearing of animals and/or cultivation of plants. Examples: agriculture, irrigation, aquaculture, plantations, herding, pests and diseases affecting crops and livestock.
- Schwieder, Marcel; Tetteh, Gideon; Blickensdörfer, Lukas; Gocht, Alexander, Erasmi, Stefan: National-scale crop type maps for Germany from combined time series of Sentinel-1, Sentinel-2 and Landsat 8 data (2017 to 2021)
- Maintenance Frequency
- data is updated every year
Data are available on request from Marcel Schwieder.
- Version 2.01
The data provide the basis for the Thünen Earth Observation Atlas.
- Data Quality
PA = Producer’s accuracy; UA = User’s accuracy; FS = F-score; OA = Overall accuracy
- Supplemental Information
Creation of raster maps:
Blickensdörfer L, Schwieder M, Pflugmacher D, Nendel C, Erasmi S, Hostert P (2022) Mapping of crop types and crop sequences with combined time series of Sentinel-1, Sentinel-2 and Landsat 8 data for Germany. REMOTE SENSING OF ENVIRONMENT 269:112831. doi: 10.1016/j.rse.2021.112831
- Spatial Representation Type
- grid data is used to represent geographic data